Sunday, March 29, 2009

Blah, blah, blah

My almost 4-year-old boy, Josh, is a fan of water play. When we are not paying close attention, he will hole himself up in one of our bathrooms, get the water running and have a wonderful time filling and spilling cups and submerging any number of action heros and other toys. Once I found the aftermath of one of these play sessions--water all over the countertop, water all over the floor, and water in the cabinet underneath the sink. I was glad I wasn't storing anything significant under there. 

So today I noticed he was nowhere to be found. Wait, the last time I saw him he was headed to the bathroom. As I climbed the stairs I could hear the water running. The door was locked! I unlocked it with a pick made out of a hair clip. There he was, up on the counter with nothing but a shirt on and holding a full roll of toilet paper that was soaking wet! He was in the middle of pulling it apart! I told him to put it down and to get himself down. He ignored me and kept pulling at the wet mass of TP. So I "helped" him down and gave him a swat on the bottom on the way to the floor. I explained that what he was doing was not OK and that he needed to stop playing in the water and making messes. He cried and ran to his dad. I followed and started in again about how he can't do these things, etc. He looked and me and said, "Blah, blah, blah." 

I almost started laughing. I had never heard him say that at all. I couldn't believe he could actually apply it to the context of this current lecture. However, I did not laugh. No, I gave him another little swat on the bottom and told him that I would not allow him to talk back to me. Sebron then did a great thing and backed me up--telling him he needs to listen to his mom and that he can't talk that way. 

I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

3 comments:

  1. All that water is pretty bad. My kids haven't gone that far, although Livvy spilled water all over her bedroom floor this week as she was filling small cups. I think she was trying to have a tea party. It cracks me up how we as parents have to hold back our laughs sometimes while disciplining our children. I've done that many times. Don't get me wrong, though. Other times I am NOT amused. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is so funny! Yeah, I've had times in disciplining, too, when I've had to cover my mouth to hide my grin. :) They are just so funny sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston one time splashed almost an entire tub full of water onto the bathroom floor (she was probably 4 ish and there was probably an inch on the floor) and Robert handed her a towel and said "Clean it up."

    She did it. It took probably an hour and she screamed, "You're just lot Cinderalla's Evil Step Mom!" at us the entire time.

    Kids are so funny sometimes I have to turn my head the other direction when I'm scolding them lest they see me laughing.

    ReplyDelete